Thursday, October 04, 2007
Yet another update
Since I last checked in life has been interesting, it always is anyway :)
Shane had his appointment with the neurologist at the Women's and Children's Hospital. She was very thorough and did let us know that he will be at least 6'6" when he is finished growing.
They are not sure what to call his movement apart from a movement disorder. Reluctant to say it is Tourette's because he doesn't have vocal tics and can't control the movements when they happen. People with Tourette's can stop the tics even if only momentarily. So the diagnosis is a movement disorder and not to worry about it unless it bothers him.
I did feel like a bad mother when she asked me when he walked - "Um, I think he was about 14 months, but I really can't remember." Then what was his first word and when did he say it - "Um he was pretty normal." What a bad mum and I still haven't checked his baby book to see when he walked and talked LOL.
It looks like John missed out on the movie he auditioned for because the director wanted to meet him at the same time we were at the hospital with Shane.
Justin and Shane survived the orthodontist. Justin gets his braces off on December 3rd. Shane has another year to go we think.
John and I spent an hour with his renal specialist on Tuesday afternoon. John's creatinine has risen again to 229. Not good news. It has gone up 23 points in 2 weeks. He had an ECG and his heart is fine. Just don;t know what the kidney is up to. So now we are booked in to spend the day at the renal unit on October 23rd, John will have hourly blood tests to check the absorption rate of his drugs. There is still room to tweak the drug regime and hopefully the blood tests will give some idea of what is going on. If his numbers are up again it looks like another biopsy to check for rejection. All of my blood work came back fine, like I told the doctor I don't have time to get sick.
Simon and Shane survived the dentist, just. I was fuming. I had booked them in 6 weeks ago. Last Thursday we got a call confirming the appointments. Just as we were about to leave home Wednesday morning heading to the dentist, the receptionist rang and asked to cancel Simon's appointment because they had double booked. So I said just cancel both and I'll reschedule later. Not impressed but didn't want to make 2 trips to the dentist. Ten minutes later she called back saying that they had a cancellation so I could bring both boys for 10.30 and 11 instead of their original 10 and 10.30 appointments. Fine. So off we went. There was already someone in with the dentist when we arrived and someone in the waiting room. At 10.50 the man in the waiting room was called in. Ok, the dentist was running behind. A lady came in to the waiting room and she got called in ahead of the boys. By then it was almost 11.30. Aargh. So I got up and told the receptionist to cancel both boys appointments, that we didn't plan on waiting until we were slotted in, that she had called and asked us to come in. The receptionist then went in to the dentists room, asked the lady that had gone in to wait and got Simon to go in instead. Totally unprofessional. She told the lady that she was sorry but that she was actually booked in between the boys. Since appointments are scheduled every 30 minutes they had overbooked trying to slot extra patients in for check up and cleaning. It is a nice earner for the dentist as the insurance company pays $137 per patient. Obviously they figured they would double up all day.
While Simon was still in the receptionist asked if I wanted to pay both accounts so I asked if Shane was going in NOW. When the boys finished she asked if we would like a reminder for 6 months time and I said no, we will be finding another dentist.
This was just the straw that broke the camels back, when we took the other boys in for their check up the dentist couldn't find Bradley's records, her notes for me didn't match what I know was done at my last visit. Each time I have been over the past 2 years she has told me something different. So time to find another dentist approved by our medical insurance.
Today I am attempting to get 3 teens up and organised to go to the radiologist for a renal ultrasound. We have to be there by 10am, but they have to drink a litre of water an hour before we get there. So trying to get them all up, showered and watered is going to be fun.
This afternoon I plan to sit and stitch. Once I finish the 6th block of Nature's Home I'll pick up Fish City again.
Shane had his appointment with the neurologist at the Women's and Children's Hospital. She was very thorough and did let us know that he will be at least 6'6" when he is finished growing.
They are not sure what to call his movement apart from a movement disorder. Reluctant to say it is Tourette's because he doesn't have vocal tics and can't control the movements when they happen. People with Tourette's can stop the tics even if only momentarily. So the diagnosis is a movement disorder and not to worry about it unless it bothers him.
I did feel like a bad mother when she asked me when he walked - "Um, I think he was about 14 months, but I really can't remember." Then what was his first word and when did he say it - "Um he was pretty normal." What a bad mum and I still haven't checked his baby book to see when he walked and talked LOL.
It looks like John missed out on the movie he auditioned for because the director wanted to meet him at the same time we were at the hospital with Shane.
Justin and Shane survived the orthodontist. Justin gets his braces off on December 3rd. Shane has another year to go we think.
John and I spent an hour with his renal specialist on Tuesday afternoon. John's creatinine has risen again to 229. Not good news. It has gone up 23 points in 2 weeks. He had an ECG and his heart is fine. Just don;t know what the kidney is up to. So now we are booked in to spend the day at the renal unit on October 23rd, John will have hourly blood tests to check the absorption rate of his drugs. There is still room to tweak the drug regime and hopefully the blood tests will give some idea of what is going on. If his numbers are up again it looks like another biopsy to check for rejection. All of my blood work came back fine, like I told the doctor I don't have time to get sick.
Simon and Shane survived the dentist, just. I was fuming. I had booked them in 6 weeks ago. Last Thursday we got a call confirming the appointments. Just as we were about to leave home Wednesday morning heading to the dentist, the receptionist rang and asked to cancel Simon's appointment because they had double booked. So I said just cancel both and I'll reschedule later. Not impressed but didn't want to make 2 trips to the dentist. Ten minutes later she called back saying that they had a cancellation so I could bring both boys for 10.30 and 11 instead of their original 10 and 10.30 appointments. Fine. So off we went. There was already someone in with the dentist when we arrived and someone in the waiting room. At 10.50 the man in the waiting room was called in. Ok, the dentist was running behind. A lady came in to the waiting room and she got called in ahead of the boys. By then it was almost 11.30. Aargh. So I got up and told the receptionist to cancel both boys appointments, that we didn't plan on waiting until we were slotted in, that she had called and asked us to come in. The receptionist then went in to the dentists room, asked the lady that had gone in to wait and got Simon to go in instead. Totally unprofessional. She told the lady that she was sorry but that she was actually booked in between the boys. Since appointments are scheduled every 30 minutes they had overbooked trying to slot extra patients in for check up and cleaning. It is a nice earner for the dentist as the insurance company pays $137 per patient. Obviously they figured they would double up all day.
While Simon was still in the receptionist asked if I wanted to pay both accounts so I asked if Shane was going in NOW. When the boys finished she asked if we would like a reminder for 6 months time and I said no, we will be finding another dentist.
This was just the straw that broke the camels back, when we took the other boys in for their check up the dentist couldn't find Bradley's records, her notes for me didn't match what I know was done at my last visit. Each time I have been over the past 2 years she has told me something different. So time to find another dentist approved by our medical insurance.
Today I am attempting to get 3 teens up and organised to go to the radiologist for a renal ultrasound. We have to be there by 10am, but they have to drink a litre of water an hour before we get there. So trying to get them all up, showered and watered is going to be fun.
This afternoon I plan to sit and stitch. Once I finish the 6th block of Nature's Home I'll pick up Fish City again.
Comments:
<< Home
Wow Sandy how you get time to stitch is beyond me! You are one busy mum.
I would have told the Dentist to sod off too. How rude. The amount of work you have obviously given them and they treat you like that.
Fish City is coming along well and I love the afghan.
My fingers are crossed for John's numbers to improve.
Happy stitching
Nise
Post a Comment
I would have told the Dentist to sod off too. How rude. The amount of work you have obviously given them and they treat you like that.
Fish City is coming along well and I love the afghan.
My fingers are crossed for John's numbers to improve.
Happy stitching
Nise
<< Home
