Monday, August 27, 2007
More Stitching, life and stuff
I am definitely feeling my age after 4 hours of heavy gardening. I did have a couple of pretty flower beds, but with John's new shed due to arrive within a few weeks I am now in the process of moving my beds. Of course, not one to do things by halves, I decided to remodel the entire back yard. So far I have cleared a wasted space at the side of the house. It once held a huge rainwater tank, but that had rusted with age and sprung leaks, so we had it removed. Then the area needed clearing, the tank had been resting on big redwood sleepers so they were unearthed along with about 30 house bricks buried there too. Now I just need to level the area. It will house a new small garden shed and the dog house. Level and gravelled it will look nice and be useful.
The wasted space at the side of the driveway has also been cleared, that was my 4 hours this weekend, plus a few more hours I spent on it during the week. Unfortunately the boys are allergic to gardening, although Simon and Shane did put in a little effort to help. We shifted about 30 wheelbarrows full of soil. Nothing grows at that side of the driveway, so I plan to gravel it too and put some pretty planter pots there for decoration with some hardy bushes in them.
The new garden bed is taking shape along with a path to the mailbox. Once I get the new bed finished I'll transfer the plants from my original beds and replant the 300 bulbs that I had to dig up. Hopefully they survive the trauma.
John isn't getting any healthier and I am wearing out LOL so the aim is to make everything as low maintenance as possible.