Monday, May 14, 2007
A Memorable Mothers' Day
Mothers' Day started out as planned.
Breakfast with John, flowers, a new pig ornament and a couple of nice cards, a quiet morning of stitching.
When John woke up in the afternoon we had a late lunch and then drove over to visit his mum. The boys stayed home.
John and I arrived home just before 5pm, opened the door to find a nice clean house...and Simon grabbing his chest in obvious agony. Dropped my bag to find out what was going on and, bad parents that we are, we both started laughing when he told us....."I had a guitar pick in my teeth and I swallowed it."
Since things swallowed do pass and he was breathing ok we had him try to drink water which proved very painful. Milk he couldn't quite swallow, so off we went to the hospital.
John dropped Simon and I off at the nearest ER and we waited. As the pain increased and Simon got more distressed we finally got taken back to see the ER doctor. Observation initially, then an x-ray and a big dose of morphine as he was in agony. Talk of sending him on to the children's hospital for an endoscopy, but luckily that idea was changed to further observation. It seems the increased pain was because the pick was passing from the esophagus to the stomach, sharp and triangular it wasn't an easy thing.
Meanwhile John had reheated the yummy dinner I had prepared earlier - meatloaf and scalloped potatoes and fed the boys. Rang work to tell them he wouldn't be in and waited at home for news.
I finally got to ring him just before 9pm and he came back to the hospital to wait.
The best part of the evening was when the nursing staff did change over of shift and the nurse looking after Simon said "This is Simon Walter, 16 years old and he is here because he swallowed a guitar pick." The 3 new nurses all erupted into spontaneous laughter.
We finally got home at 11.30pm, had a cup of tea and went to bed.
Definitely a memorable Mothers' Day!!
Breakfast with John, flowers, a new pig ornament and a couple of nice cards, a quiet morning of stitching.
When John woke up in the afternoon we had a late lunch and then drove over to visit his mum. The boys stayed home.
John and I arrived home just before 5pm, opened the door to find a nice clean house...and Simon grabbing his chest in obvious agony. Dropped my bag to find out what was going on and, bad parents that we are, we both started laughing when he told us....."I had a guitar pick in my teeth and I swallowed it."
Since things swallowed do pass and he was breathing ok we had him try to drink water which proved very painful. Milk he couldn't quite swallow, so off we went to the hospital.
John dropped Simon and I off at the nearest ER and we waited. As the pain increased and Simon got more distressed we finally got taken back to see the ER doctor. Observation initially, then an x-ray and a big dose of morphine as he was in agony. Talk of sending him on to the children's hospital for an endoscopy, but luckily that idea was changed to further observation. It seems the increased pain was because the pick was passing from the esophagus to the stomach, sharp and triangular it wasn't an easy thing.
Meanwhile John had reheated the yummy dinner I had prepared earlier - meatloaf and scalloped potatoes and fed the boys. Rang work to tell them he wouldn't be in and waited at home for news.
I finally got to ring him just before 9pm and he came back to the hospital to wait.
The best part of the evening was when the nursing staff did change over of shift and the nurse looking after Simon said "This is Simon Walter, 16 years old and he is here because he swallowed a guitar pick." The 3 new nurses all erupted into spontaneous laughter.
We finally got home at 11.30pm, had a cup of tea and went to bed.
Definitely a memorable Mothers' Day!!
Comments:
<< Home
Oh my word! Talk about drama!!! THat is so funny...I know Simon doesn't think so...I bet that was painful too! Poor Simon....
Post a Comment
<< Home
