Saturday, February 17, 2007
I LOVE MY KIA!!! REALLY I DO
Yes I do love my Kia, but so does our mechanic.
Friday morning the temperature outside was already around 35 celsius, Simon was driving to school when just over half way there going uphill the car lost acceleration. There was a tapping noise coming from the front, but not loud enough to worry me, it just sounded like a leaf or paper moving in the wind. I had him pull over. This is a really main highway with loads of morning traffic. Turned the car off and then on again, it started easily and seemed ok. So we swapped seats so I could drive the rest of the way and see what was going on.
Turned off onto the next main street we use and uphill again couldn't get acceleration. The lady behind me was making rather rude gestures, like I could get out of her way even if I wanted to.
Made the next turn across 2 lanes and the car stopped dead right in front of 2 driveways. Luckily not a lot of traffic turned in after us and we jumped out and pushed the car....uphill of course...out of the way of the driveways and any traffic. Flashers on I called our roadside assistance, "about an hours wait." Full sun, really hot. The boys took their bags and walked the rest of the way to school, while I waited.
John was asleep at home, and Bradley was waiting there for his friend to pick him up for an outing, so I called to let Bradley know what was going on and that he could still go out when his friend arrived.
After a little more than an hour the roadside assistance arrived. Had a look, had me start the car and it started ok. Then he started pouring water in the radiator. He came and sat next to me in the car and asked if we had a mechanic as the car needed to be towed there now. He also said if you see water under the car it is because he spilt some. The water under the car was the width of the radiator and ran back down the hill, so a bit more than a spill. He said I'll arrange a tow truck and off he went.
Next thing my mobile rang. John wanting to know what was going on. A well meaning friend had passed, saw me broken down and rang John's mobile which woke him up. She left a message on his phone just saying "I saw your wife broken down up there, let me know if you want me to pick the boys up." I wasn't planning on calling John as there wasn't much he could do. My plan as to call and wake him up once I was being towed to the mechanic and have him pick me up there.
Poor thing hadn't had any sleep the day before dealing with phone calls from management at work (they don't realise night shift managers sleep during the day).
By the time John rang me it was just after 10am, I had been out in the heat for 2 hours already and the tow truck was due in an hour.
John decided to come and wait with me and brought me some water. So then we both waited and waited. Finally around 12 o'clock the tow truck arrived. We drove ahead to the mechanic and then went on and bought Subway for lunch.
It felt like heaven getting home to the airconditioner.
Poor John still didn't get any sleep, he managed just over 2 hours in the evening before he had to hed back to work.
Now we have one car for the weekend. Today the boys are supposed to have athletics, though if it is still on we won't stay long, it will be 40 celsius today. Simon is going out to dinner tonight, as long as he can arrange a ride home if not he'll have to come home earlier so John can use the car for work.
Should find out Monday how much the money pit (Kia) is going to cost.
Friday morning the temperature outside was already around 35 celsius, Simon was driving to school when just over half way there going uphill the car lost acceleration. There was a tapping noise coming from the front, but not loud enough to worry me, it just sounded like a leaf or paper moving in the wind. I had him pull over. This is a really main highway with loads of morning traffic. Turned the car off and then on again, it started easily and seemed ok. So we swapped seats so I could drive the rest of the way and see what was going on.
Turned off onto the next main street we use and uphill again couldn't get acceleration. The lady behind me was making rather rude gestures, like I could get out of her way even if I wanted to.
Made the next turn across 2 lanes and the car stopped dead right in front of 2 driveways. Luckily not a lot of traffic turned in after us and we jumped out and pushed the car....uphill of course...out of the way of the driveways and any traffic. Flashers on I called our roadside assistance, "about an hours wait." Full sun, really hot. The boys took their bags and walked the rest of the way to school, while I waited.
John was asleep at home, and Bradley was waiting there for his friend to pick him up for an outing, so I called to let Bradley know what was going on and that he could still go out when his friend arrived.
After a little more than an hour the roadside assistance arrived. Had a look, had me start the car and it started ok. Then he started pouring water in the radiator. He came and sat next to me in the car and asked if we had a mechanic as the car needed to be towed there now. He also said if you see water under the car it is because he spilt some. The water under the car was the width of the radiator and ran back down the hill, so a bit more than a spill. He said I'll arrange a tow truck and off he went.
Next thing my mobile rang. John wanting to know what was going on. A well meaning friend had passed, saw me broken down and rang John's mobile which woke him up. She left a message on his phone just saying "I saw your wife broken down up there, let me know if you want me to pick the boys up." I wasn't planning on calling John as there wasn't much he could do. My plan as to call and wake him up once I was being towed to the mechanic and have him pick me up there.
Poor thing hadn't had any sleep the day before dealing with phone calls from management at work (they don't realise night shift managers sleep during the day).
By the time John rang me it was just after 10am, I had been out in the heat for 2 hours already and the tow truck was due in an hour.
John decided to come and wait with me and brought me some water. So then we both waited and waited. Finally around 12 o'clock the tow truck arrived. We drove ahead to the mechanic and then went on and bought Subway for lunch.
It felt like heaven getting home to the airconditioner.
Poor John still didn't get any sleep, he managed just over 2 hours in the evening before he had to hed back to work.
Now we have one car for the weekend. Today the boys are supposed to have athletics, though if it is still on we won't stay long, it will be 40 celsius today. Simon is going out to dinner tonight, as long as he can arrange a ride home if not he'll have to come home earlier so John can use the car for work.
Should find out Monday how much the money pit (Kia) is going to cost.
