Monday, September 25, 2006

 

AARGH Now I am stressed

It will pass, but the pre-admission was a pain. The anaesthetist (sp?) was lovely, John and I both saw the same one, although she won't be doing the gassing she explained it all well and was great. Then I had to see the surgical intern, not John as was written on the paperwork.
The intern was obviously just out of school, didn't look in my file. Asked about any past surgeries, when it was written at the top of the questionnaire I had to fill out for the appointment. Then having written down that I had a hysterectomy in 2001, she asked if I was on "the pill"!!! She was obviously going through the checklist of things to ask and I know they have to learn, but it would be nice to have eye contact and some sort of connection.
Then she wrote out the order for the drugs post surgery - guess they know what I'll need already. Told me I needed an x-ray and blood test today. When I asked what the x-ray was for she hesitated, then said they needed a baseline x-ray. So I asked what are they x-raying....she replied a chest x-ray in case I get pneumonia later they will have a comparison. I pointed out that I did have a chest x-ray already and had blood tests twice in the past week and a bit. So she tore up the x-ray form but thought she may as well have more blood anyway.
She also noted that my complexion was "jaundice" in her notes - funny I thought I had olive skin!!!
I couldn't get out fast enough, and had another 4 test tubes of blood drawn.
We stopped in to see the renal liaison nurse to check if anything else needed to be done and query the blood and chest x-ray, but she was in a rush too and was little help.
Guess I wouldn't have been so annoyed, except the intern didn't look at my file, and you don't need medical school to know that you don't need the contraceptive pill post hysterectomy!!
But...tonight I will breathe and relax. Tomorrow will be a better, calmer day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?